Customer Service Specialist
The Tier One Customer Service Specialist exists to receive calls coming into the Hodges-Mace Employee Benefits Resource Center (EBRC) and, if necessary, direct them to Benefit Counselors, Tier 2 Customer Service Specialists, or Dependent Verification Specialists. Tier One is responsible for scheduling appointments for the Benefit Counselors to speak to the caller in the future. Tier One members are equipped with resources to answer simple questions for the caller, including clients’ benefit guides and contact phone numbers to reach each clients’ carriers and payroll vendors. Tier One also makes confirmation calls to employee members who have appointments the following day.
Education and Experience
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree preferred
- License: None
- Job Experience: 2+ year of customer service in a call center environment
- Other: Microsoft Office proficient, strong computer skills
Essential Job Duties
- Navigates SharePoint, benefitsConnect, Appointment Quest, Trax, and Tracker to determine eligibility and circumstances of caller, and be actively available on the phone to receive calls and answer questions.
- Creates records of all contact with employees in benefitsConnect, Tracker, and Trax, whether inbound or outbound, so that anyone can access each employee’s information and see details of his or her individual situation.
- Communicates with Tier 2, Dependent Verification, and Benefits Counselors to make sure that each employee is provided necessary assistance.
- Uses positive language and clear speaking skills to ensure that employees understand their situation and responsibilities to get enrolled in their benefits.
- Stays up to date and knowledgeable on changes to each client account and provides information to employees on those changes and how they are affected.
- Retrieves voicemails and returns calls (as well as maintains call logs) within a 24-hour period to assist all clients in a timely manner.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Must have a broad based knowledge of benefits administration.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office, and have the ability to learn and operate computer systems and software.
- Must have strong communication skills, including the ability to speak professionally with people over the phone.
- Must have strong leadership skills, excellent written and oral communication skills, and excellent interpersonal skills.
- Self-motivated and directed. Keen attention to detail. Proven analytical, evaluative, and problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Exceptional customer service orientation. Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
Fast paced, deadline-oriented environment. Work performed indoors in environmentally controlled conditions. Attends to, processes, and communicates significant amounts of information ranging from moderately to highly complex. Uses a computer for nearly all work performed. Work demands precision, attention to detail, and accuracy. Must use the phone and e-mail throughout the day to communicate with others.
This position works closely with a wide assortment of people. This role interacts with corporate human resources departments, insurance carriers and vendors, healthcare providers, different levels of employees, fellow co-workers and other team members, including specialists, schedulers, fulfillment, and key account specialists.
The Customer Service Specialist has limited freedom to act within the confines of day to day activities. Supervisors are available to assist with questions/problems the Customer Service Specialist may encounter.
This role is presented with various types of scenarios that require a low to moderate level of analytical and problem solving skills. Often situations require same day resolution.
Decisions made by the Customer Service Specialist are important to Hodges Mace’s overall business. Providing incorrect direction and/or information to clients may have a negative impact on overall client relationships and affect the company’s image and potential to maintain desirable market positioning.
Employee will work indoors in environmentally controlled conditions. Must be able to sit at a desk and work on a computer for extended periods of time.